Tuesday, October 25, 2011

And then it rained, again - no floods at Occupy Dame Street

Today it rained. And rained and rained and rained and rained. Torrentially at times. I took a much-needed break from the camp and didn't go there yesterday. I now have the impression a few other people also took Sunday, and Day 16, off. Little did I know there would be an extreme weather warning, with high winds and 70 mm of rain forecast over last night and today. Worried about how the camp was faring I went in today, which I hadn't intended to do and wasn't entirely up to or for, and it was wet wet wet.


I had tooled up in waterproof trousers, jacket and comical polka dot umbrella, and worked outside in the rain for about 2 hours, trying to fix things and also with a few others make a space where a promised 16 foot diameter yurt could go. I got given out to by someone because I'd had the temerity not to be at the camp yesterday. But at least she knew she was getting unreasonably angry and wisely took herself away. It's difficult on everyone, and tempers flare. I came home briefly and headed out again, to dinner and back to camp. The rain gradually let up, the yurt got built, we managed to separate the (small amount of) dry stuff from the (large amount of) wet stuff and salvage what we could. The Gardai admired the yurt. I watched a video on someone's phone of Dundrum Town Centre with water bursting 6 foot high through its glass doors and windows, and laughed quite a bit. Consumerism defeated by nature, but Occupy Dame Street goes on. And from the first time I crossed its threshold the dreaded DTC always seemed to me like an apocalypse waiting to happen. You can almost hear the zombies groan.


At camp there was miscommunication about the domes that were also planned for building this evening, which was a shame. And overall the communication problems and lack of systems that have been plagueing it all week contributed to worse destruction last night and today. But we'll get there. We need way more people to be there and help out and to focus on the basics - shelter, security, warmth, food. Things seemed better when I left, cheerful, no rain, yurt intact, tents moved. I got home and discovered my flat had flooded while I'd been away for those hours trying to help the camp. The irony is too bleak; I'm going to bed.



Post a Comment

<< Home