Sunday, May 06, 2007

Getting out some graffiti

I'm fairly into graffiti. Not writing, but documenting it, as well as street art in many forms. I've been taking photos of it in at least 3 different countries for at least 4 years now, but haven't yet gotten around to putting it up online in a photo gallery, or doing anything else at all with it. So this is the first attempt to get some of these photos out there.

Here's one of the earlier photos that I have to hand, taken in Connecticut, USA, in February 2003:And here's one I took last month, in Dublin:


And in case this is giving the impression that I'm only interested in black writing on grey walls, one from a favourite and often-repainted spot, near Dublin city centre:

My internet connection is painfully slow at present so that's all for now, but I hope to put up a few more photos soon.

There are shades of the paradoxical in photographing and then cataloguing on-line (which means it could exist in some form 'forever', cached in the void) something that is intended as temporary. Being transient, shortlived and particular to one physical location are essential features of graffiti and street art, and part of what defines them. But right now I enjoy that slight contradiction, and am interested in sharing these often beautiful and arresting images, as a means of exploring that paradox.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tadhg said...

Cool photos, put more up!

(And yes, this appears to be your first non-spam comment...)

Monday 7 May 2007 at 20:07:00 GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home